Secondary Metals Recyclers Registration
Pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 10-1-360, secondary metals recyclers who purchase regulated metal property in any quantity must register with the appropriate sheriff’s office(s) beginning July 1, 2012.
Annually, the Office of Sheriff is required to register secondary metals recyclers doing business in the county, keep a record of each registration, and cause the registration information to be entered into a statewide database searchable by all law enforcement agencies. The attached form, authorized by the Secretary of State, must be used for the registration process.
- Each sheriff’s office must personalize the form in the designated areas.
- No additional changes can be made to the official document.
- Place the form on the sheriff’s office website for access by secondary metals recyclers.
- The recycler must submit a completed registration form in person to the appropriate sheriff’s office(s).
- Obtain a copy of the driver’s license or other identification of the person submitting registration documents.
- If the recycler is a qualified alien, secure and verifiable documentation must be attached to the application. A list of verifiable documents is included with these instructions.
- Inform the recycler that pursuant to HB872, the statutes that pertain to secondary metals recyclers are: O.C.G.A. § 10-1-350 through O.C.G.A. § 10-3-363, O.C.G.A. § 40-3-36, and O.C.G.A. § 40-3-56. The recycler must be familiar with these statutes. The recycler can visit the Georgia Recyclers Association website to review a summary of relevant laws. This information is on the registration form.
- The sheriff’s office must complete page 3 of the registration form.
- Annually collect a non-refundable registration fee of $200, which must be remitted to the county governing authority. Registrations cannot be considered without a full payment of $200.
- Note: Each sheriff will be asked to contact the board of commissioners in order to arrange for $100 of the registration fee to be forwarded to the Georgia Sheriffs’ Association to offset the cost of the statewide database maintained by the Secretary of State.
- Each registration is valid for a twelve-month period beginning with the effective date of registration established by the sheriff’s office once all registration requirements are met.
- The record of each registration will be entered into an electronic database accessible statewide.
NOTE: The database has not yet been established. The sheriffs’ offices will be notified by the Georgia Sheriffs’ Association once the database becomes operational.
HOW THE APPROPRIATE COUNTY OF REGISTRATION IS DETERMINED
- Business (Corporation or Partnership)
The recycler registering as a business must register with the sheriff in county where the place of operation is maintained. If the recycler maintains a place of operation in more than one county, he/she must register the business in each county.
- Individual (Sole Proprietor)
An individual must register in the county where he/she resides.
- Non-resident of Georgia
A recycler who is not a resident of Georgia must register in the county where he/she primarily engages or intends to operate as a secondary metals recycler.